Airplay allows people to wirelessly transmit audio and video from their iOS devices to nearby speakers and screens. The iOS device is considered the AirPlay “sender” and the speaker or TV is considered the AirPlay “receiver.”
Think of AirPlay as an invisible cable connecting your iOS device to the device you want to watch or listen on because that’s almost exactly the right analogy.
- Apple TV
- iPhone / iPad
- Mac OS X
AirPlay video from your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch
- Connect your iOS device to the same Wi-Fi network as your Apple TV or AirPlay 2-compatible smart TV.
- Find the video that you want to AirPlay.
- Tab on
- Choose your Apple TV or AirPlay 2-compatible smart TV.
AirPlay video from your Mac
- Connect your Mac to the same Wi-Fi network as your Apple TV or AirPlay 2-compatible smart TV.
- On your Mac, open the app or website that you want to stream video from.
- In the video playback controls, click
- Select your Apple TV or smart TV
To stop streaming video, click in the video playback controls, then choose Turn Off AirPlay.